Sunday, May 10, 2015

Week XII: Sin ti, Sr. Ry Cooder









Bit of a mix of the two, obviously, as the title hopefully suggests.

To be quite honest, I loved this “La vida es un sueño” although to be quite honest (y soy sincerota) I hate Los Angeles.  It may be “sister cities” and all with La Ciudad de México, pero nada que ver.  Bueno.  In my opinión anyway.

And when I say that I loved “La vida es un sueño” es decir que I didn’t love the storyline, this ridiculous conspiracy between an Asian man, the Hollywood elite, and the police sargeant’s esposa.  No, I mean to say rather que me encantó el estilo de escribir.  Creo.  The mix of the languages, the first person narrador, cosas así.  Maybe I’m secretly more chicana-esque than I would like to admit pero todos los que me conocen saben mejor.  Ni de aquí ni de allá mas definidamente tampoco esa mescla que es el chican@.  Porque even though it effectively mixes the best of both worlds (with the exception, perhaps, in certain familias, that los niños y las niñas no manejan bien los dos idiomas, una gran pena y tristeza, en mi opinión..) the mexican machista pride marginalizes them.  That’s why chicanos are so fiercely proud of being chican@:  all they have is themselves.  So no, thanks, I’ve chosen my cover story and yo, por lo menos, seré cachanilla.  O brasileña, algún día cuando ya maneje mejor el portugués, sólo para joder con los más machistas que creen que saben mejor que yo de dónde soy.  Bueno.  Back to the subject.




This line called out to me:   Ya Estoy Con Mi Destino

There’s the obvious pondering:  if it is your destino, then you cannot escape it and tal vez you’ve always been with it.  But then I recalled a little bromita of mine, with someone that no longer pertains (our destinos changed, obviously) :





But that’s the age old question, ¿no? Sobre el destino.  Si voy a creerle a mi GPS (¿y por qué no?) mi destino is constantly changing.  And that’s how I want it.  After all, when they sing “Sin ti, no podré vivir jamas” they don’t exactly specify a person.  It’s fluid, it’s moving.  Sometimes mi destino estará a la izquierda and sometimes estará a la derecha.  Right now he's on my left, but I doubt he'll stay in one place.



No comments:

Post a Comment